Roman was born and raised in Athena by his father Aster. When Roman was very young it was discovered that he was avatar, having been born on the same day that the previous Avatar passed away. Some time later, Roman learned that he was also the Dark Avatar, explaining some of his previous actions and mannerisms.
Due to Roman's status as both the Avatar, and Dark Avatar, his personality used to be rather sporadic to the point of nearing bipolar disorder, regularly acting in very strongly contrasting ways. Roman could act kindly in many scenarios, and act with little to no mercy in others. This contrast led many to point out that Roman did not act very consistently, to which he agreed. Roman lacks a consistent method of doing things, but typically strays away from overly violent soltuions, while not really caring enough to go out of his way for a more peaceful solution.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
As the Avatar, Roman is capable of learning and mastering the ability to bend all four elements. Due to the fact that he got most of his training in the village of Hermes, where many of the warriors in the palace were benders, Roman's skill as a bender is rather exceptional. Roman has spent quite a bit of time training with past Avatars and even inventors of certain bending techniques, allowing him to gain skill with the elements extremely quickly. Roman's status as a fully realized Avatar allows him full use of the Avatar State, and gave him the knowledge and skill he needed to master the power of the Dark Avatar.
- Firebending- Firebending is somewhat unique amongst the four elements, as it is the only one that can be generated spontaneously, and does not require a source. While fire can be generated, firebenders are capable of manipulating and enhancing already existing flames. Firebending generally involves generating fire into various complex shapes for different types of attacks. Circular motion has been shown to enhance the power of fire, whether it is being used offensively or defensively. As a result, whirling kicks and punches are used very often in fire bending. Circular motions of the arms are also quite good for the creation of defensive barriers. Firebending can be used to create various contructs such as daggers and whips, allowing for use of phyrokinetic weaponry.
- Lightningbending- As a master firebender, Roman is capable of generating or redirecting lightning based attacks. The ability to generate lightning is a very powerful technique that the majority of firebenders can not access. Redirection of lightning actually uses aspects of Waterbending to use the opponents own attacks against them. When attempting to redirect lightning, it is absorbed into one hand, guided through the stomach, and released through the other hand,
- Airbending- Airbending is the most spiritual and defensive of the four elements. While it does have offensive capabilities, it is primarily used for evasion and defense. Airbending can be shaped in various ways for varying uses. One of the most well known uses for airbending is shaping it into a sphere beneath the user and using it as a mode of transportation. Airbending requires the user to be very flexible and dextrous, as many of the stances and movements for airbending are quite abstract. Airbending is also the most spiritually attuned element, with Airbenders beng far closer to spirits and the like than most people. Roman also has heightened reflexes due to his ability to detect vibrations in the air.
- Waterbending- Waterbending is highly built on elegance and grace. Waterbenders are capable of manipulating existing sources of water and using them for various purposes. They are capable of simply moving water or using it as a projectile. It is also possible to use water as a form of whip or tendril, able to restrain objects or people as if the water were solid. Skilled Waterbenders are capable of converting water into ice or steam, allowing a wider range of use for the element. Some Waterbenders possess the ability to heal others or themselves by covering an injured area in water. Waterbenders are also capable of freezing water into ice, or rapidly evaporating it into steam. Waterbenders with extremely high levels of skill are capable of bending the blood within a person's body, being able to control some victims as if they were puppets.
- Earthbending- Earthbening is possible the most diverse of the bending arts. Although Earthbenders generally possess high levels of physical strength, their styles generally vary depending on their personalities. Earthbending can be used to move and weaponize various Earthen substances. Earthbenders can manipulate substances such as rock, mud, and sand. All but the most skilled of Earthbenders are incapable of bending metal. Earthbending can be used to form constructs such as weapons or defensive barriers.
- Metalbending- During the time before the "No Way Out" section of the rookie pit, Roman took the time to learn metalbending from the woman who invented it. Metalbending is a sub skill of Earthbending and is very difficult for many Earthbenders to learn due to the long held belief that it is impossible for Earthbenders to bend metal. Earthbenders can manipulates many forms of metal, but not extremely pure metals such as platinum.
- Lavabending- Another advanced variation of Eathbending. Lavabending is a very useful form of bending that allows Earthbenders to melt earth into lava or turn lava back into solid earth. Lavabending is useful for preventing enemies form getting close to the user, as well as defending from attacks. Lavabending is also useful due to the fact that rather potent attacks can be made with relatively small amounts of earth.
- Energybending- A unique form of bending usually unique to the Avatar, it allows the user to manipulate the spiritual energy of themselves or others. Energybending can be used to permanently remove bending from others, or grant it to those who do not possess it. Another use of Energybending allows the user to bend energies that originate from the Otherside or from Hell. This ability allows Roman to augment his bending by altering the elements he bends to take on either a Holy or Demonic effect, making them more effective against certain types of enemies.
- Spiritbending- A variation of the healing technique with the addition of spiritual knowledge. By encircling spirits or even projected human souls in the Spirit World with water, one is able to induce a change between the positive and negative energies, creating balance or imbalance within the target. It can be used to calm down rampant spirits, or used in a more destructive way to destroy spirits or even the souls of people.
- Avatar State-The strongest and most powerful ability that the Avatar can invoke is the Avatar State. It allows the Avatar to channel vast cosmic energies and the knowledge of previous Avatars, granting them increased strength and the ability to perform especially powerful and extraordinary feats of bending. While active, all tattoos that follow the flow of chi within the user's body glow a bright white color. As a fully realized Avatar, one can trigger the state at will.
- Dark Avatar State-The Dark Avatar state works in a near identical manner to the regular Avatar State. It greatly enhanced the power of the elements, and grants Roman the ability to channel things such as Hellfire while he is in this state. While in this state Roman's tattoos glow a dark shade of red.
Roman's status as the Avatar makes him the perfect individual to practice as a Shaman. As he has technically reincarnated countless times, and is capable of completely abandoning his physical body to exist as a spirit or even enter the land of the dead, Roman possesses an extremely high amount of Furyoku. Roman utilizes spirits that serve to augment his bending, their abilities enhancing him in such a way that allows him to use the elements at an even higher level than many who have spent their whole lives training in the elements. Having abandoned most of his weapons, Roman decided to utilize tattoos as mediums for his oversouls. The tattoos follow the same general paths as the tattoos that show Roman's mastery of airbending and were made of ink composed of spirit water, causing them to glow when Roman enters the Avatar State.
- Tui & La- The spirits of the moon and ocean before the merging of the worlds, these two spirits take the form of two koi fish. Their oversoul medium are dual tattoos, with each of Roman's arms featuring the two of them "swimming" within the path of the Airbender tattoos, with water trailing behind them. They are capable of generating massive torrents of water and greatly augmenting Roman's waterbending ability. Although water is naturally the most difficult element for Roman to learn, the use of these spirits allows Roman to use waterbending at a far higher level than he normally would. While using Tui & La, Roman's mere presence greatly augments any waterbending of himself or allies, as if they were under a full moon.
- Ran & Shaw- Spirits of two dragons that were worshipped by a group known as the sun warriors in the world they hail from. The medium for their oversoul takes the form of dual tattoos in a very similar manner to those of Tui & La. The dragons "fly" along the path of the tattoos on Roman's arms, trails of fire behing them that cross with the trails of water made by Tui & La at several points along their paths. Roman becomes capable of generating fire of far higher potency and quantity while this oversoul is in use. The flames generated by this oversoul are multicolored, possessing colors fiire would normally not possess naturally. When channeling the oversoul, Roman's blades both gain dragon patters running along them.
- Appa- Spirit of a Sky Bison that was the companion of a former Avatar. Although Roman had not mastered Airbending by the time he made his contract with Appa, he was allowed to gain the Airbender arrow tattoos early in order to use them as medium for Appa's oversoul. The oversoul greatly increases his speed and reaction times, as well as making his Airbending significantly more powerful. Roman is capable of flight as Sky Bison are.
- Chikyu- Spirit of one the massive creatures known as badgermoles that originally taught humans Earthbending. Roman uses tattoos that follow the path of the arrows along his legs as Chikyu's oversoul. The image consists of Chikyu "digging" along the path of the tattoo with a trail of earth behind him, with this imagine mirrored on both legs. While using the oversoul, Roman's Earthbending becomes far stronger, and he gains access to a unique means of detection known as the seismic sense, which allows him to detect movements through vibrations in the ground. With Chikyu's oversoul now being a unity tye oversoul, it's use now massively increases Roman's physical strength as well as his durabilty, allowing his physical strength and durability to match the output of his Earthbening.
- Rai- Spirit of a Thunderbird, massive birds with control over storms and lightning. The medium for this oversoul is a tattoo that looks a pattern of lightning that follows all of the Airbender tattoos along Roman's body, save the main arrow on his forehead. Channeling Rai's oversoul gives Roman massive wings of lightning, as well as control over the weather in his immediate area. Within about a hundred foot diameter, Roman is capable of generating rainstorms over the area, granting him access to natural lightning for attacks as well as generating barrages of lightning from the wings themselves. Rai's oversoul grants Roman a massive increase in speed, far greater than that of Appa's oversoul.
- Lesser Elementals- Roman is capable of calling upon a vast number of lesser elemental spirits, that vary depending on his envrionment. These spirits are weak on their own, but their oversouls allow them to manifest as small amounts of whatever element they are linked to. When used in high amounts, and coupled with Roman's bending, they can be used for devastating attacks.
Roman possesses contracts with two demons by the names of Kimaris and Elathan, both primarily based around light and darkness, respectively. Kimaris' seal takes the form of a very small star just under Roman's left eye, that spreads out in a white wing-like pattern to the left side of Roman's eye as Roman uses more of his power. Elathan's symbol takes the form of a black spiral just under Roman's right eye, that spreads out into the shape of numerous black tendrils as Roman utilizes more of his power. Kimaris and Elathan are twin demons, almost always working in unison due to the nature of their abilities. Both Kimaris and Elathan are rather powerful in their own right, and are even more so when working together. Due to their nature, the two of them inhabit whoever makes a contract with them, their body allowing both of their powers to be channeled through a single being. As the host of Kimaris and Elathan Roman shows the following abilities:
- Photokinesis- The ability of Kimaris is the manipulation of light. Roman is capable of utilizing his abilities as the Avatar to manipulate light with both Holy and Demonic effects. He can utilize this ability to form blasts of light that are capable of significant levels of destruction, and inflicting minor burns on the target. Roman is also capable of shaping his photokinetic attacks into various specific shapes, forming hardlight. He is capable of forming weapons or shields out of light.
- Umbrakinesis- The ability of Elathan is the manipulation of shadows and darkness. Roman is capable of applying Holy or Demonic effects to darkness as he can do so to other elements. Roman is capable of covering areas in darkness to obscure himself from the sight of enemies. Roman is also capable of solidifying darkness, utilizing tendrils or weapons of darkness to attack his foes.
- Soul Perception- Soul Perception is a meister exclusive ability that allows meister's to read the souls of individuals to various degrees. At a high level of skill, a meister can see souls in great detail or even read the emotion of the soul.
- Soul Menace- Soul Menace is a meister technique that allows meister's to weaponize their soul wavelength. These attacks possess an extremely high ammount of concussive force and typically have an electricity like effect on impact. Roman has developed a unique usage of the Soul Menace technique. By combining Soul Menace with the destabilizing effect of Spiritbending, Roman is capable of destablizing a person's soul, causing weapons to reject their meisters, or making difficult for an opponent to use any form of soul based technique.
- Soul Resonance- Soul Resonance is typically used by the meister channeling their soul wavelength into their weapon partner, who augments and sends it back to the meister, the process repeating several times over. As he does not possess a weapon partner, Roman has developed his own use of Soul Resonance. Roman uses Soul Resonance with his various spirit allies, the avatar spirits, and his contracted demons, creating an extremly powerful Soul Wavelength as a result. The use of this Soul Resonance actually causes the Avatar State and the Dark Avatar State to overlap, greatly augmenting Roman's overall ability. Soul Resonance also multiplies the power of Roman's Oversouls and Demon Contracts, making them far more potent and increasing their overall effectiveness.